Men’s BBL during its inaugural season in 2011 had 28 group stage matches, which was increased to 32 for the following seasons.
In 2018-19, the tournament featured 56 games with every team playing other teams twice before final series. While this remains same this season as well, BBL 2019-2020 has added a new twist to the game.
To promote fair play for teams who dominate the regular season, this team five out of eight teams would be selected for deciding the winner. The five finals matches have all been given unique monikers; The Eliminator, The Qualifier, The Knock-Out, The Challenger and The Final.
- The Eliminator will take place between 4th and 5th positioned teams.
- The Qualifier will be played between 1st and 2nd positioned team.
- The Knock-Out will take place between 3rd & the winner of The Eliminator
- The Challenger round will take place between the loser of The Qualifier v winner of The Knock-Out
- The Finals will take place between the winner of The Qualifier v winner of The Challenger.
While this new format presents a unique opportunity for 5th positioned team to lift the trophy, they will have to win all of their four final matches away from home in 9 days.
KFC Big Bash 2019-20 will commence on December 17, 2019, and the finals are scheduled to be held on February 8, 2020.